Monday, October 14, 2013

ZOMBIE WEEK - Zombie Splat Cookies



It's Zombie week here at Bubble and Sweet.

I'm trying to make up for the reduced baking, sharing and posting lately with a week filled with easy and fun to make Zombie treats.


It seemed fitting seeings as I have been feeling and looking a bit like a zombie in the past few weeks myself. But totally in a 'Warm Bodies' type way 'cause I haven't been completely soulless.

These Zombie Week sweets are the kind of easy to make mildly gross types of food my kids think are cool to make and eat.

First up I've made some zombie splat cookies. I thought up these cookies way back when I made my Alien Zombie Brain Eating Monster Cake Pops, the 'pops' kinda looked like they were melting which made me think of the cult 'Mr Melty' snowman cookie by Meaghan at The Decorate Cookie and I thought - hey melting zombie cookie that would be kinda cool. But I am not really sure that Zombies melt, I think they're more likely to decay so I've decided I would splat them instead.

This is the link to the Video Tutorial:


To make the splat shape I used cookie cutters I have had for years from Ikea - they are blue plastic and come in a big round set and I have used them many times in the past on this blog. I like the irregular shapes but the ones I liked were a bit too small so I had to push them out with the roller before baking. I've made a quick video tutorial which shows how I did the rolling out - I recommend watching the video for the cookie part plus it shows how to attach and roll the fondant out to shape using the same technique.

If you don't have a irregular cookie cutter shape you could draw a template onto clean cardstock/paper and then use that in place of a cookie/fondant cutter using a sharp knife to cut around your template.


Join me tomorrow for Day 2 of Zombie Week (insert zombie music here) for Zombie Braaaaain Munch popcorn. Mmmmmm brains.

Zombie Splat Cookies
These are tiny 1 or 2 bite size cookies so the cookie dough will make around 80ish. I halved my dough and used the other side for a different project. Cookie dough can be wrapped and frozen in airtight container for a couple of months, defrost in the fridge still in the container when ready to use. If you do not like fondant you can easily use royal icing instead.

Cookies in irregular shapes * see below for recipe
Green fondant (mine is white Bakels coloured with Wilton Kelly Green and americolor Electric Green)
Fruit burst berry jelly lollies (eg nordic berries or gummy brains in the US)
Edible eyes (buy or make your own CLICK HERE for diy instructions)
water (or edible glue) and clean brush



Dust workbench with a little cornflour and then with a small plastic rolling pin roll out the green fondant until quite thin.

Using the same cutter or template you used for the cookie, cut an irregular zombie splat shape out from the fondant and then attach the fondant to the cookie with a small amount of water. Use the rolling pin to push the fondant into place (see the attached video tutorial which gives a good demonstration of this step).

Push a raspberry lolly/brain candy into the top of each cookie and then 2 eyes.

Decorated cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week.


Sugar Cookie Dough recipe

460 grams plain flour (16 1/4 oz all purpose flour)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
230 grams unsalted butter (8 1/8oz)room temperature
220 grams caster sugar (7 3/4 oz superfine sugar)#
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
Green Food colour (optional)
#use regular white sugar if you do not have caster/ superfine sugar

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.

Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to medium low, add the egg, vanilla and a few drops of green food colour and mix until combined. Reduce mixer speed to low and mix in the sifted flour mixture until combined. Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in fridge for 30 minutes or so.

Line a few baking trays with parchment/ baking paper.

Dust workbench with plain flour and using a large rolling pin roll out the dough until around 1/2 cm (1/4") in thickness. If the dough is to hard you may need to work/knead it a bit until you can roll it out.

Cut out cookies shapes* and place the cookies on the prepared trays. (Knead and reroll dough as necessary, if it becomes to soft you can pop it back in the fridge.)

*For the zombie splat cookies I like an irregular shape cookie cutter from an Ikea set. I rolled the dough a little thicker than normal, cut out the shape and then used the rolling pin to roll the cookie out a little bigger.
Pop the cut cookie dough trays into the fridge to chill again for around 30 minutes until firm (or in the freezer for 10 minutes).

Preheat oven to 160 C (320 F) and cook the cookies until they just start to turn golden, around 15 minutes (less or more depending on cookie size).

Cool on trays for 5 minutes and then carefully lift onto a wire rack to cool completely prior to decorating.

- Undecorated cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 1 week.

Linda Vandermeer is a blogger, baker, maker and author of the cookbook ' Sweets on a Stick': More than 150 kid friendly recipes for cakes, candies, cookies and pies on the go!. Published in the US the book is available at most online book stores.

Original Ideas, photography and recipes by Linda Vandermeer for Bubble and Sweet do not reuse without permission.

3 comments:

  1. Very cute and clever cookies! Poor little zombies got splatted (is that a word?) ... at least they still have brains :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe we're on the same wavelength! There are zombies galore here! :P

    ReplyDelete