Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bee cake pops (well ok they're Bee Oreo Pops)


I've been busy as a bee in the kitchen lately and one of the things I have whipped up is these bee Oreo cookie truffle pops.

Based on Bakerella's instructions and tweaked a little for those who are piping impaired like me.





My piping was just too messy, I don't have any Black Candy writers and even using those squeezy Wilton bottles especially made for piping it didn't look good. So instead of piping the black melted chocolate I cut thin strips of fondant using a pizza cutter and wrapped them onto the bee body.

and I just painted the eyes and mouth on with a 00 tip brush and black Americolor food colour.


The bees were happy with their fondant stripe refit until they realised how yummy they looked. Oh oh!

Oh oh, what are you doing, close you mouth, back it up buddy......

Doh, why did I have to look so cute and delicious.

This story didn't work out well for the bees.

But it did for me, and how cool is this, if you happen to make a mess at the back while dipping it looks like a little stinger.


The end

14 comments:

  1. What perfect cakepops for the start of spring!Very cute. The sad face on the half eaten bee made me go awww.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These really made me giggle! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squeaaaal! They are so adorable! :o I love them and I love how the bees have different expressions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! my kids are going to have a blast with this wonderful idea. Thanks Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynda, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment - nice to meet you!

    Hilarious! I love these, they're really cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, the stinger is so cute ^_^ That little fondant daisy is adorable, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea! I'm piping impaired too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute and adorable!

    Sawadee from bangkok,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is awe-inspiring. I have found many new things. Your way of staging is also fascinating. You have elected very incredible topic. I appreciated it.Good idea.

    Teenage Safety Education

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great post you have...as always. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. What a stunning image… I love these, they're really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pictures. I made some yesterday, but used a small tube of Wilton black decorating gel for the stripes, eyes and smile, worked out great. But if you use the gel, you need to let them site for a couple of hours for the gel to dry out, you don't want to put them in bags right away. If you dip them in candy, you can tap the stick on the side of your dipping container to knock the excess off. But then spin the stick around, and tap it two or three more times, it perfectly smooths out the "stinger" excess that builds up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    I've just found your blog after google-ing Bakerella's bee cake pops. I'm from Australia like you and was wondering where you found the yellow chocolate? Did you make it or buy it online? Thanks heaps. Your blog is gorgeous btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Laura thanks for your lovely comments. There are quite a few places to buy the yellow chocolate. The one I used is Wilton Candy Melts, but there are a few other brands around. There are quite a few kitchen shops around where I live on the southside of Brisbane that sell the melts and this place sells it online http://www.bakingpleasures.com.au/c21/Chocolate-Candy-Making#/

    Little Betsy Baker and a number of other stores also stock this and there are some shops on Ebay that sell it.

    It seems really expensive but remember it's almost 400g. To get a smooth finish make sure you add copha when you are melting the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete